6th August 2021 - The Human League - Boconnoc Estate - Travelling Feast Festival


Is this is the start of normality? I reckon so. A couple days ago I found out that the Human League were playing a food festival in Cornwall. This show was only announced at the end of last month and like a lot of things down here has relatively little to no promotion.  Being a new event I wouldn’t expect it to be a big thing, Anyhow I went on to the web site and got a ticket. Day ticket was £44 with fees, to see the League at a new event lass than an hour’s drive form home, yeah good for me. When I got there found a well organised car park, got parked up walked to the event. Ticket and wristband exchange was quick and I had to provide my Covid vaccination code. 



Walked into the arena, saw a few stalls there, a big wheel and couple other amusements. Even though it was a very new and small festival it did feel very corporate. It was a Food based festival with some famous chef’s putting there name to it, but I couldn’t tell you who they were. But, there was only about 3 or 4 food stands, and they all had massive queues, so the idea of getting something to eat around 8pm when I got there was a big fat no. I ended up with a coffee and a flapjack that cost £6!! 




Not long after I got there one of the support acts started Gabriel, a 90s pop singer doing songs that most of the audience appeared to know. The 90s was never my thing, and music like this is why I never cared for the decade, earlier in the day was a couple other mid 2000s offering the Feeling, and some other band with The in the title. 



On to the main event, I was stood at the front of the arena area, where some audience members insisted on sitting on Chairs by the barrier, this was all a bit odd, and I would have  felt it better if there had been a marked out area where chairs and other junk were kept well out of. Eventually the packed there chairs up but it did create some friction with the locals. 



A local compare filled the time why the crew were doing final checks then we were off. This was the Human Leagues first show since Lockdown, and they looked more than happy to be on the stage. The stage was small, no back projections, but still with a decent light show. The most retro thing of the evening was the old school Smoke machine that absolutely stank when switched on, I have not felt that smell since the mid 90s in some small Goth club!!! 



The set was more or less the standard League festival set. I’d wager it was the same as when they did 2 sets at the Electric Dreams weekend a few years ago. 13 tracks in total, several costume changes, a VERY bass heavy Being Boiled, a couple bum notes, a couple forgotten lyrics towards the end, all proving that unlike a lot of electronic bands, the Human League are very much a LIVE act, and 40 years on from the bands first big hit album there is no sign of slowing down with stellar live show. I will be much looking forward to seeing them at the end of the year in several venues. 


Set List 


Mirror Man

Sound of The Crowed

Heart Like a Wheel 

Love Action

Seconds

The Lebanon

Human

Open Your Heart

Tell Me When

(Keep Feeling) Fascination

Don’t You Want Me 

Encore

Being Boiled

Together In Electric Dreams


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GP Electronics Amplifiers designed and built in Bovey Tracey

Roger Waters - This is not a Drill - Prague - In the Cinema 25th May 2023

The South West Music Awards 2013