Music to the Ear 2020


2020 like any other year, I have bought music. Some new some not so new. 

I probably have listened to The Beatles more than any other band this year. and I ended up buying 4 box sets. The Beatles in Mono is just fantastic, the best clear way to listen to those albums. I managed to get the box set at a decent price secondhand BUT be aware there are Chinese knock offs. badly made with audio sourced form MP3s. The Singles collection is awesome. All cut as well as the original singles with lots of punch and excitement. I must confess I haven't played all of the white album box yet, but the attention to detail is superb, and the book is magnificent. The last box is the 1980 WRC box set called From Liverpool. I bought this as it contains alternate mixes that are not too common plus its a well cut set of 8 Lps. and can be found at a very low price. Parologram on Youtube has some great videos on the Singles box set and the WRC one. 



Also found at a good price is the Adam and the Ants Kings of the wild Frontier box. This is one of my favorite albums of all time. The box has the album, extra tracks, a DVD of the Japan gig and loads more. Suburb stuff for around £25. 

At the start of lockdown I was on the computer and Rockpalast popped up with a live stream of a band called Maidavale. 
https://www.facebook.com/maidavaleswe  After about half a song I bought both of the bands albums off bandcamp. They are a terrific psychedelic rock band that have great tunes and riffs. 


There was some Pink Floyd activity with Nick Masons superb Live at the Roundhouse Album and Blu ray. I saw the show in the cinema and out of this, Rogers Us and Them and Davids Pompeii this is the best in terms of film sound and production quality by a mile.



However we did get a new single from David Gilmour and I enjoyed it very much. 



Mike Westbook, I'm biased I have been in his band for 6 years, but I was a fan first. and the Love and Understanding album from a live concert recorded when I was a baby is just terrific. Classic tracks performed brilliantly. 



Being a big fan of Blancmange not only did they release a great new album Mindset, they also did an extended version and the great Waiting Room album if previously unheard tracks. Mindset is a really great album.



Shuffle and Go by Fairport Convention is another brilliant album for 2020 one of there best for the last 20 years for sure. 



The box set of the year for me is the brilliant Marillion Script for a Jesters tear. Brilliant new mixes, amazing Live at the Marquee and a superb documentary perfect package. 


And even though it came out at the end of 2019 I didn't get the David Bowie conversation piece box set until this year. Again like the Beatles and Marillion superb box set with great book and amazing audio. 



My dear friend Roger O'Donnell after several years got his new album out Two Ravens. This is another stunning piece of work, again with such attention to detail. 


I also bought and enjoyed the Cures Anniversary Blu Ray with shows from Hyde Park and the Royal Festival hall. And I got the Blu Ray of Yes ARW at Manchester Apollo. 

I bought the Cream Farewell Tour 1968 Box set. Sadly disappointing as the audio was the same as on the Bootlegs that have been doing the rounds for years. nice package and at £25 in HMV was a good price. But the Albert Hall audio was the audience bootleg. so very poor sound. 

I know its been out for years but the Miles Davis compete Bitches Brew sessions is soooo good. As is the Jack Johnson box set. 

It was a big surprise to see a brand new album from Rosetta Stone. A band that I nearly joined in 1998 I did enjoyed this one a lot.

 

I randomly got to meet the singer Barry Palmer this year former vocalist with Mike Oldfield, and I acquired from him his excellent album Night Thoughts. Give it a spin its very good. The song Miracle Tonight is outstanding. 


I did buy the Tears For Fears seeds of Love box set as well. OK I never bought it first time round as I had gone off them by then, and the big single, wasn't my cuppa at the time. However the box set is great and plenty to listen to though you have to really love the album as there are many versions of well the same thing! 



Tom Bailey under his International Observer also put out a great EP of Dub music this year. Always great stuff and brilliant production. Id love a full vocal IO album one day. 



Jazz Sabbath is Adam Wakemans take of Black Sabbath songs in a 50/60 jazz Style. Its great it really is. 




2 of my very talented musical friends have released covers albums this year. I bought them both and they are both great. First was Alice Offley's Stay Home album 


And then Alex Hart just put out the Under The Covers Album 


Both great albums. 

Lastly is my single of the year. Its Damian Wilson's Hard to Keep Faith. A truly fantastic single, and has an amazing video too. 




So that Wraps up 2020 for me, loads of music around. Feel free to comment with the good stuff that you have found this year. Its still being made. I even was involved in 11 releases this year. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GP Electronics Amplifiers designed and built in Bovey Tracey

The South West Music Awards 2013

Matthew's 2022 Roundup