BBC Radio Devon Late Show picks 1st February 2013

So this week it was the anniverary of the first 7” single released by RCA in America in 1949 so I thought I would pick a few 7” themes.

Firstly an old EP called ‘Jam Session At RCA’ with the likes of Fats Waller and Bunny Berigan and Tommy Dorsey playing ‘The Blues’. This was recorded in 1937 and the ep probably came out in the 50s but it was the oldest RCA disc I have.

Then it was the new Adam Ant single ‘Cool Zombie’ this song takes a few listens but does grow in time, and the artwork on the single is great.

After that I flip to CD to play Something in the Way by Nirvana as on this week in 1992 the album Nevermind got to no 1 in the UK album charts for the second time, no mean feat and it’s a fantastic track.

Lastly, on BBC Spotlight this week there was a feature on independent record shops and on the BBC Spotlight Facebook page people were sending in their first albums. One person mentioned Cosmos Factory by Credence Clearwater Revival  a favourite of mine for many years, so I thought I’d play their take on Marvin Gayes’s I heard it through the grapevine. One of the great cover versions.

And that was it for the week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GP Electronics Amplifiers designed and built in Bovey Tracey

Roger Waters - This is not a Drill - Prague - In the Cinema 25th May 2023

My Name Is Ottilie BBC Four - Could this be the worst music documentary of all time?