Sonic Rock and other tales

(I should have posted this blog last week)

Well this has been a rather extraordinary week music wise.

A few years ago I was at a musical crossroads, There was so much I wanted to do, but I never had the confidence to do what I wanted, this all changed on the 8th June 2009 when I did an open mic in Richmond at a place called the Watermans, this was the first time that I had ever sung in front of anyone and I got away with it from this point on I knew anything was possible, I just needed to find the direction.

The obvious one was for the band I was In, but that ended up in a mess, its one thing being in a band that isn’t that popular in its genre, but when there genre has little popularity in the world then you are on a loosing battle before you start. So I feel it was the best decision I have ever made to walk away from it as far as being a touring musician is concerned.

There has been one thing that I have always wanted to do, and that’s be a band on the festival scene, I have been to so many festivals with Arthur in recent years, and they have all been great, and I wanted a slice of that and the only way to do it was to start something new. Now you all know the story of how Secrets For September was started, but before we had the live band together properly I got the Sonic Rock solstice gig booked, even before we had a singer, the initial idea was to be a kind of Ozric Tentacles kind of dub instrumental prog / space rock band. And with this in mind the demos that I had recorded secured Secrets a slot at sonic rock.

So by the time the festival came round, Secrets was a totally different band, was I worried? No because I believe passionately in that this band has all the elements that a good band has, and we are all performing with a united front, something I never had with All Living Fear not in ANY line up with the possible exception of the time that it was me and Paul but again there were other issues that prevented the band from flourishing.

Me and Lee-Anne got there the night before, as we like camping, it was pouring with rain on the way up but it cleared enough for us to get the tent up and the kettle on the go. Sonic is not a massive festival but its very well run, there is good sound and lighting, and everyone we met was friendly. Didn’t seen many band on the Friday, but Alan Davey’s ‘Gunslinger’ were very good.

Saturday and it was the day of the gig. Setting up was a relaxed affair everyone else turned up on time, and we had a fun soundcheck, this was only our 4th gig and first ever gig using something more than a vocal PA, It was bliss to play a gig with proper monitors again. It was also the first time we played where Mike had his full drum kit.
The set was to include

Is Space Found
To Behold
Wandering Minds
Upside Down
Paint The Picture
Traces
Got To Give Up The Ghost

The set went down really well, I’ve not played anywhere for so many years where people have come up to me afterwards and told us how much they enjoyed the gig. Looking back over it all it was a great achievement, that with the Amazon chart success wrapped the week off nicely.

Me and Lee-Anne did intend to camp over for the Saturday as well but I wasn’t feel too great with all the muggy weather, and we decided to come home and have Sunday to relax.

Sonic Rock Solstice is a really fab event and long may it continue and grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GP Electronics Amplifiers designed and built in Bovey Tracey

Roger Waters - This is not a Drill - Prague - In the Cinema 25th May 2023

The South West Music Awards 2013